Last night was the final evening of a four week polymer photogravure workshop that I taught at The Minnesota Center For Book Arts. It was a wonderful experience and I was truly delighted to spend time with such talented and enthusiastic students. Above is a sample of some of the first prints they produced. I am very impressed with their results!
This week my monotypes have featured figures and stardust. I'm not sure where this is going but I am having a lot of fun.
I will be making new plates from some older images this week. Nice to spend time with these Peonies.
I like tidy. That can be a difficult thing to achieve when projects spread themselves across your various domains. Last year I worked in two separate locations, MCBA and MCAD. In November I cleared out my lockers and flat files and brought it all home in a heap. I ignored it for the month of December until I couldn't stand looking at it anymore. I converted yet another closet to print and supply storage - those clothes needed to go anyway, right? The prints are now placed in drop front storage boxes in a lovely shade of gray. The boxes are neatly stacked and labeled. All is right in my world again.
I am humbled to be included in such a beautiful book.
MCBA has published a Winter Book for the past twenty-five years. This year they invited members of the MCBA community to submit written work that describes what practice and community means to them. The book can be purchased here.
Chronicles . Mpls Photo Center . November 13th - January 6th
In October of 2014 I was awarded a Jerome Foundation grant to spend a year studying at the Minnesota Center For Book Arts. I was challenged in ways I expected as well as in ways I could not have anticipated. I surprised myself and gained skills that I thought were out of reach. I learned, I made new friends and produced an entirely new body of work.
I wish to humbly thank the Minnesota Center For Book Arts, the Jerome Foundation, the entire MCBA community, the mentors and mentees, as well as my friends and family for their support and enduring patience.
Last night I finished the letterpress printing for my project. It feels great to have that part completed.
Today I'm working on the label for my box. I am printing on Gampi Silk tissue then mounting that to black etching paper. I am happy with the effect so far. Next week I will start attaching them to the clamshell boxes. Getting close...